Archive for July, 2013

Monthly Newsletter for August 2013

by in Newsletter on Jul. 30, 2013


Do you need an EIN? (Employer Identification Number)


You will need an EIN if you answer “Yes” to any of the following questions:


Do you have employees?

Do you operate your business as a corporation or a partnership?

Do you file any of these tax returns:  Employment, Excise, or Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms?

Do you withhold taxes on income, other than wages, paid to a non-resident alien?

Do you have a Keogh plan?

Are you involved with any of the following types of organizations?

  1. 1.       Trusts, except certain grantor-owned revocable trusts, IRAs, Exempt Organization Business

       Income Tax Returns

  1. 2.       Estates
  2. 3.       Real estate mortgage investment conduits
  3. 4.       Non-profit organizations
  4. 5.       Farmers’ cooperatives
  5. 6.       Plan administrators

How to Apply for an EIN


Applying for an EIN is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service.  Beware of Web sites on the Internet that charge for this free service.


Apply Online

The Internet EIN application is the preferred method for customers to apply for and obtain an EIN.  Once the application is completed, the information is validated during the online session, and an EIN is issued immediately.  The online application process is available for all entities whose principal business, office or agency, or legal residence (in the case of an individual), is located in the United States or U.S. Territories.  The principal officer, general partner, grantor, owner, trustor etc. must have a valid Taxpayer Identification Number (Social Security Number, Employer Identification Humber, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) in order to use the online application.


Apply By EIN Toll-Free Telephone Service

Taxpayers can obtain an EIN (immediately) by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at (800) 829-4833.  The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m – 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.  An assistor takes the information, assigns the EIN and provides the number to an authorized individual over the telephone.  Note:  International applicants must call (267) 941-1099 (Not a toll free number).


Apply by Mail

The processing timeframe for an EIN application received by mail is four weeks.  Ensure that the FORM SS-4 (PDF) contains all of the required information.  If it is determined that the entity needs a new EIN, one will be assigned using the appropriate procedures for the entity type and mailed to the taxpayer.  Find out where to mail Form SS-4 on the “Where to File Your Taxes” (for Form SS-4) page.


Lost or Misplaced Your EIN?


If you previously applied for and received an EIN for your business, but have since misplaced, try any of all of the following actions to locate the number.

  1. 1.       Find the computer-generated notice that was issued by the IRS when you applied for your EIN.  This notice is issued as a confirmation of your application for, and receipt of an EIN.
  2. 2.       IF you used your EIN to open a bank account, or apply for any type of state or local license, you should contact the bank or agency to secure your EIN.
  3. 3.       Ask the IRS to search for your EIN by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at (800) 829-4933.  The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.  An assistor will ask you for identifying information and provide the number to you over the telephone as long as you are a person who is authorized to receive it.  Examples of an authorized person include, but are not limited to, a sole proprietor, a partner in a partnership, a corporate officer, a trustee of a trust, or an executor of an estate.